Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Get Help, Even if You Cannot Afford It

You can view the words business growth as a phrase or as an integral part of your plan to succeed beyond your current agenda.

It's okay not to grow, to stay small and compact, with your hands on the controls at all times. I've seen and heard business experts say that growth is crucial for every firm, but I believe that some entrepreneurs are truly comfortable with their success and are best left to stay the size that works for them.

There was a point in my business where finding outside help was vital. I found myself wishing and hoping to start projects my clients desperately wanted. Who was I to keep such material on hold? That's when I decided it was time to hire help.

A review of my finances made me a bit nervous. There was money, but how much would I need to hire an assistant? Would the person work in my office or be virtual? What type of work would they do, and what was the going rate for support personnel?

I had a lot of work to do and didn't know where to turn. Thankfully, a good friend was working with an assistant who still had time in her schedule to work with me. Telling my friend about my need simplified the search, but you may not have the same easy time locating someone.

Here are three tips to find help and stay within your budget, even if your budget is zero.

1. Do like me, and ask friends if they are working with someone or know of a reliable person who's local and willing to perform several hours of support work each week.

2. Ask a relative (mom, child, aunt, etc.) to lend a hand with easy tasks, such as postcard labeling, sorting, or computer input. In exchange for money, cook the helper a special dinner, take them to a movie, or choose another fun activity they prefer. You'll get experience in becoming a good boss, and the helper will get something nice in return.

3. Find help through a freelance help Web site. You describe the project, the contracted length of time, and set the budget. I bet you'll get lots of bids from people interested in providing support.

Stay small in business, or grow as large as you want with in-office help or virtual support. In either case, move forward in the direction that makes you happy.

No comments: